Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal
Mercury-Free and Mercury Safe
These terms can be especially confusing for patients. You might think that mercury free and mercury safe have the same meaning, but they are distinctly different. We are proud to say that our practice is both.
- Mercury free means that a dentist doesn’t use amalgam or other mercury products in new restorations
- Mercury safe means that the dentist is trained in, and follows, a rigid protocol to prevent mercury exposure and environmental pollution when removing amalgam
- Mercury vapor is known to be released from dental mercury amalgam fillings at higher rates during brushing, cleaning, clenching of teeth, chewing, etc., and mercury is also known to be released during the placement, replacement, and removal of dental mercury amalgam fillings.
Our Amalgam Removal Protocol
The common technique for replacing a filling is often referred to as “drill and fill.” The dentist simply drills out the old filling and replaces it. Unfortunately, when the old filling is amalgam, that approach releases alarming amounts of mercury vapor and particulate matter. That is why Dr. David uses a stringent mercury safe protocol, which includes:
- A breathing mask delivers a clean air supply and filters out the mercury
- A non-latex dam/Isolite used to isolate teeth from the rest of the mouth, so you don’t contact or swallow particles
- Two specialized suction devices are used to collect larger pieces of mercury and direct the vapor straight to an air filter
- The amalgam should be sectioned into chunks and removed in as large of pieces as possible using a small diameter carbide drill.
- Your body will be covered with disposable drapes to keep any mercury from settling on your clothing.
- Activated charcoal and or chlorella is used.
We use mercury removal utilizing the safest conditions as recommended by the IAOMT.
Treatment rooms are also outfitted with high energy ionizers to collect mercury from the air onto ionized plates.
Amalgam traps and special mercury filters are utilized in the office’s drainage to help protect the environment. If you have mercury concerns Dr. David can refer you to the proper physicians to bring our patients to better wellness.
Dr. David and the team of Dentistry by Dr. David are committed to helping you enjoy optimal health and wellness, using safe, natural products and techniques. If you are ready to discover a different kind of dental care, call us at (978) 779-2888 and schedule an appointment.
“I highly recommend Dr. David and her team to anyone who is contemplating having any type of dental procedure done, whether it be something very simple or preventative or the more advanced and extensive as I have experienced.”
— Ronald B.
“My fears were not minimized but dealt with in a compassionate manner. I felt reassured and that my team would treat me respectfully and with kindness. They respect my fear and will help me cope with it.”
— Ellenore P.
“The girls at the front desk are the best, they are soo personable… You are very lucky to have them….I wouldn’t change anything. Overall all is great, love the staff, they truly make your visit & got out of their way to help you..”
— Diane B.
“Staff is very friendly, welcoming, and reassuring. A dental visit is not high on my list of fun things to do, but one at Dr. David’s office is as pleasant as it can possibly be.”
— Beverly P.
“I will look forward to returning! I had the feeling that everyone was pleased to see me and admire the efficient yet relaxed manner in which my appointments were conducted. The environment was peaceful and everyone was very accommodating. Thanks for a really good experience.”
— Anne C.
“Loren was excellent as always, greeting me, helping me fill out medical history forms, and explaining financial options. Karen is a great hygenist and a very pleasant person to talk to during my cleaning.”
— John B.
“K was great and very thorough, my daughter had a good experience with Alicia. This was a great first visit. The entire staff is very engaging and positive. It’s obvious they enjoy what they do and are interested in the patients.”
— Brigham B.
“Everyone is so pleasant and upbeat. The entire office made me feel welcome. That goes a long way toward making the entire experience comfortable and less stressful. I noticed the staff attitude also made other clients more friendly towards one another.”
— Anne C.
Exceptional dental care is a lot closer than you think.
Located in Bolton at the intersection of 495 and Rt. 117, easily accessible from MetroWest Boston.